Thursday, September 30, 2010

A note from my 1st MBA Prof

===
"if you feel you are losing your passion, remember how you begin." ~Chris Chan
===

a couple things about my 1st MBA professor - Dr. Chris Chan (I figure it's probably a better idea to write this BEFORE taking his exam next Monday!) LOL:

  1. he LOVES sending email AFTER MIDNIGHT - seeing his email in the mailbox is actually SCARY - esp. the one that he sent on a SAT / early Sunday morning for a "casual case discussion" due Monday *really Orz!!!!!*
  2. he's a financial guy - although, he has a PhD in Accounting, and this spse to be an Acct class - he spent less than HALF of his lecture time on accounting - turns out we're all doing researches on Repo 105, Delta vs SG airline cases, not to mention, the EXCITING GUCCI case (i'm actually PROUD (?) that i don't have any GUCCI thing - am just NOT into (and can afford!) those luxury brands LOL
  3. one of his many quotes in class about accounting: "we all can hire some book-keeper to do the entries (but doesn't mean u don't need to know about it in the exam)".. Orz @_@''
  4. he's a fashion guy - gucci shoes, burberry jeans, etc etc XDDDD (again, i don't know much about LUXURY brands) :P
  5. one of his favorite answer "it depends" XDDD
  6. he loves starbucks (we got extra pt for that!) hahaahahha
  7. I've never seen any class that so eager to earn extra credits by class participation - and our favorite quote to Chris "is that a pt?" LOL
  8. he's a typical blow water king *LOL* but he actually got the patient to led you (or me at least) to think out of the box - i can't recall any of my undergraduate professors had SUCCESSFULLY "teach" me that - it's not about mechanically how to think and do some calculations according to some rules (trained as an engineer...) - it's more about the "perspective" you take is so different - u never think u're sorely an engineer, or the purchasing manager, but u may just be an external consultant some times...
  9. and last but not least, he sure can write tear bombs email :~)

===
Date: Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:31 AM
Subj: A Note

Hi everyone,

Thank you for staying late with me this evening. I want to congratulate all of you for completing your first MBA course (regardless of the exam) and for doing a very good job overall in your presentations. Not only on the cases, I can see and feel how much you put yourself into this course, working hard, wanting to learn, and do better. You may not know, as a teacher, watching you is a reward.

Some may say - good things don't last. Well, in your second year, maybe, if you feel you are losing your passion, remember how you begin.

After leaving the town center tonight I realized I had just finished teaching my last MBA class for HKU. I never thought I would have the privilege to do this for 11 years. Did not make me rich, but I know I am privileged.

Many times I feel I have lost my passion, then I remember my 11 years ago.

Thank you for giving me that opportunity. Good night.

Chris

===

I know I have been whinning too much in the last month, and before reaching SECOND year actually feel so discouraged and feel like losing my passion (multiple times!), yet I'll remember how I began, it's not easy, but at least, I do feel encouraged after my very first course in my MBA - thanks and feel blessed to have such a great professor to begin the journey with. I hate the fact that Cornell SG steal him from HKU, yet i fully understand why he's "stolen" and glad he can further advance in his future :)

and now time to go back and study for the exam!!! XD

1 comment:

CW said...

and remember why you begin. good luck in your exam. :) - WittyBB