Monday, July 30, 2007

Queen's Pier...

Well in the last few days news it kept coming up w/ protesters trying to stop the gov't of removing the historical place - Queen's Pier at Central.

皇后最遲明日清場 - 林太單刀赴論壇 兩陣各不相讓

I personally don't have much attachment to it (ha, i'm still young) - yes, i feel sad that they moved the old Star Ferry (well, mainly is b/c it's so inconvenient now! so far away from 720 station)... Well, anyway, back to the pt, while I've no doubt that Queen's Pier is really "historical" - Queen Elizabeth? Prince Charles and many other Governors of HK had boarded there... many movies were taken place there.. etc etc.. YET, those ppl camping there and trying to stop the gov't just kinda annoyed me - of course, they've the right to express what they feel - yet, the decision of removing it - i'm sure, is not only started recently - it should have "consultation" period a while back?

at one pt of time i wanna go there and take a pict too - as a memory or sth - but then w/ all those ugly banners? i don't wanna remember the place like that...

besides, the gov't already doing relocation plan... so what's the big deal?? i mean, i don't know, maybe i'm just not care / sensitive enough w/ "historical" stuffs....

I don't know if the gov't "do it in the right way", i didn't really look into details of who's right / who's wrong - I just think some times we've to move on from the past - same w/ real life - easier to say than to do, of course.... but.. just need to some time...

3 comments:

CW said...

i don't have much feeling ... again, i hate things are operating in a non-transparent way ... u went protest at the end of the 'project' ... and pretty much lots of things are done deal ... yeah ... the court is working on the appeal case, but isn't it a waste of the taxplayer's money on it? i don't know ... i am just a small potato plus like my sis said, "you don't even live in HK anymore ... what do you really know ?" ... kakaka

JC said...

I have to agree with wittybb and jasper. Well.. the protests came too late. I'd say just take a lot of pictures before it's torn down. Of course the banners and stuff make ugly pictures. Hahaha...

With all that said, I think there needs to be a historical preservation committee or some kind to handle these things. There maybe one already... I dunno.

Anonymous said...

I thought there is actually a historical committee within the HKSAR gov't. The way how it was done was that the gov't usually sent out a "request for comment" type of letter to the public and asking for public's opinion before deciding whether to preserve or remove a historical landmark. However, I still believe other factors such as business and political influences will play bigger roles here.

I think all in all number does matter. If 200,000+ people say preserve it then it may make a case. However, I just don't see there will be even 20,000 people protesting so the ending is near for the Queen's Pier.

Am I going to miss it? Sure because it was one of my favorite places to meet my dates before, hehe :)