Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Election and Citizenship...

The US 2004 Election have came to an end and we'll have Bush for another 4 years...

So as I was talking the election with a friend the other day, I just realized that she did not vote - as she is not yet a citizen!

If I did not remember it wrong she has been a Permanent Resident (PR) for quiet a long time (more than 20 years?) And as far as I remember from my government class back in high school one can be a permanent resident, well, practically, FOREVER (as long as he or she stays in the States for more than 180 days per year). And to get one step further, a PR can change his or her status to a US citizen after staying in the States for certain period of time continuously (I think 5 years). At the end of the process one just have to pass the neutralization test and you're done (and I still remember most of my classmates back them - neutral born US citizen, couldn't pass that neutralization test!!)

And all along I thought my friend can vote, but her answer is plain & simple - She cannot vote because she is not a citizen and she does not want to be one anyway.

Actually as years pass by I heard similar comment more and more often from different person staying over in the States - some are PR for a long time, some just turn to be a PR, some are still on H1 or even still studying. They all work very hard in order to be part of the country - to be a PR and eligible to stay and work in the States - but the part I don't quiet understand is that they refuse to take a step further - to REALLY be part of the country - where they live, work and staying in? How come to them being a PR is the same as being a citizen - not having the right to vote doesn't seem to bother them! (oh, and not to mention they cannot serve in most of the government's agencies).

How ironic is it - people in HK fight these days to get our right to elect the next HK Chief Executive through direct voting - while people who can vote for their leader - do not bother to do one step further and choose NOT to have the right to vote?

Of course, there is still many other restrictions apply which I have not mention. And of course, there maybe some other reasons, that make those who doesn't want to take that further step to become a citizen afterall. Maybe because deep down their heart they still want to come back and settle down in their homeland - Hong Kong eventually; or maybe that neutralization test is just too hard one doesn't bother to study Grade 11's US History and Grade 12's Government class again in order to pass it. Who knows (and who cares)?!
(Afterall I am not in the position to judge them as I am not a PR. I am not even working or living there anymore. I just came back to work and live in my homeland Hong Kong after graduation...)

Part of me still consider US as part of my "home town"... Yet after 4 years coming back working and living in HK, I don't think I can live and survive there anymore - i.e. even I have a chance to go back. I guess as one older one just resist for major changes in life? I think current business traveling to Africa, India, Eastern Europe.. etc are fulfilling enough! :P

People may ask why I fond of the US that much... Actually I don't know. I may not like it as much if I am staying there now. I think I consider it as much as my 2nd hometown is probably because I spent some of the best moments, and knew some of the most important persons in my life over there...
and if one ask me what my nationality is, I still kind of hesitate to say "Chinese" - I still prefer to say I'm from Hong Kong, not from China CHINA. I would say I am a Hong Kong citizen, but not a China (Chinese) citizen...
I guess it is good that they start playing the National Anthem every evening now...

Personally I don't like either Kerry or Bush. BUT IF I REALLY have to pick one from the 2 of them I guess I'll go for Bush, simply because I am more a republican and that Kerry looks too weak to me as a President... (but of course, again I want to emphasize the above is only based on the "LOOK", as I know NOTHING about either policies or plans or whatsoever)...

No comments: