Thursday, June 04, 2009

20 yrs... the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre

I remember I was in P.6, I don't think I know much about the Red China back then, I was too young.

I do remember photos w/ tanks running over students, every day shocking photos on newspapers' cover page...

I bought a photo magazine issued back then - buying those magazine w/ my very limited pocket money is consider as a "luxury".

Yet, as many other HKese back then, I have no confident w/ the Chinese Gov't, not sure what could happen after the 97 turn over! I wanted to make sure my family and I would not get in any type of trouble if one day the Chinese military (解放軍) search my house and found that book!!

So I put the precious magazine in my High school time capsule - just make sure I won't get in trouble w/ the Red Chinese...

It has been more than a decade since HK returned to the "Red Chinese". With the very limited exposure w/ China in the last few yrs I had a mixed feelings w/ our motherland: I wouldn't say I know China a lot (still have a natural "repelling" feeling of the Chinese gov't), yet, I think the "hate" part has dilute a bit.

I do think the Chinese Gov't has tried and improved (to become more open) when compare w/ where she was 20 yrs ago, yet, w/ a western educated background, for sure I think there're still lots of rooms for her to "improve"...

I didn't go to Victoria Park tonight, yet, I didn't forget what'd happened 20 yrs ago.

No comments: